Module 3 - A Difficult Week
I had thought I was pretty technologically advanced....then we arrived at Week 3! This was a little more difficult than I thought and honestly, it was because of time. We ended our school year last Friday the 2nd, and I left on vacation for 3 days this week. I've fallen behind and am trying to catch up and not feel overwhelmed. But now I know exactly how some of my students feel, especially those that are not comfortable at all online.
I'm not sure who made the comment in their blog, but I agree with whomever it was. They stated that we, as teachers, have a wealth of activities to choose from. But which is the best one for our students at that specific time? I feel the same way with some of these tools we've been requested to use. I guess time will tell!
I also am teaching an online course through TCC while taking this class. This is also our Week 3 and I've come to my first online hiccup. I created a Database for my students to house a Padlet link. The first student emailed and said there was nowhere to type in their URL. Then a 2nd student and a 3rd told me the same thing. And this was all while I was out of town this week! So I am still learning about all these resources and hope I've fixed the issue. But I feel the same way as I would if this were F2F - there is always a back up plan or we think on our feet! Worst case for my situation, I add their links to a Google site and attach that the Moodle (similar to our blogs!). Problem solved but I hope the Database fix worked. I'll have to let you know!
I'm not sure who made the comment in their blog, but I agree with whomever it was. They stated that we, as teachers, have a wealth of activities to choose from. But which is the best one for our students at that specific time? I feel the same way with some of these tools we've been requested to use. I guess time will tell!
I also am teaching an online course through TCC while taking this class. This is also our Week 3 and I've come to my first online hiccup. I created a Database for my students to house a Padlet link. The first student emailed and said there was nowhere to type in their URL. Then a 2nd student and a 3rd told me the same thing. And this was all while I was out of town this week! So I am still learning about all these resources and hope I've fixed the issue. But I feel the same way as I would if this were F2F - there is always a back up plan or we think on our feet! Worst case for my situation, I add their links to a Google site and attach that the Moodle (similar to our blogs!). Problem solved but I hope the Database fix worked. I'll have to let you know!
Sounds like you're staying flexible! I'm going to add "hiccup" to my Moodle vocabulary. :) Perfection is unrealistic, and we've really increased our efficiency with these tools! I've unsuccessfully tried to get TCC Moodle on my Moodle App. Did you use a laptop to work out Moodle business on vacation or have you had success with the app?
ReplyDeleteDiane,
ReplyDeleteWhat did you use to create your database? I've done sort of the same thing using Google files, where I have my students add their info, and usually the first one to try lets me know that they can't edit. At least since it's all online, I can quickly make the change from wherever I am (as long as I can get online).
You are right that once you have used some of these tools a few times in actual teaching, you will have a much better idea of their uses and limitations and will be better informed about which ones to use when.